FAQs About Workers’ Compensation in Georgia

An injury on the jobsite or related to your work can bring your life to a screeching halt. We know you have many questions about your case! Allow us to answer several frequently asked questions about workers’ compensation in Georgia:

How long must I work at a job to be eligible for workers’ compensation?

Unlike vacation days or paid time off, you are eligible for workers’ compensation on the first day of your job. Workers’ compensation is not something you earn; it is an accident insurance program that will offer financial assistance if you’re injured on the job, if your employer is subject to workers’ compensation laws.

How quickly should I report the accident?

You should report the accident to your employer immediately. Georgia law requires you to give notice within 30 days of being injured.

Do I choose my own doctor?

Under Georgia law, your employer must have an accessible list of medical care providers posted in an easy-to-read place. The list must be either a Traditional Panel of Physicians (minimum of 6 doctors) or the name of the Workers’ Compensation Managed Care Organization (WC/MCO) certified by the Board which your employer has contracted with to provide medical services.

What medical treatment will be covered?

The medical treatment that the doctor deems necessary will be covered by workers’ compensation. The following are examples of medical treatment that would be covered:

  • Doctor bills
  • Hospital bills
  • Medical rehabilitation
  • Necessary travel expenses
  • Physical therapy
  • Prescriptions
  • Vocational rehabilitation

What if I die because of my workplace accident?

If your accident occurred on or after July 1, 2019, your dependents are entitled to two-thirds of your average weekly wage, subject to limits that are set by Georgia law. Your dependents include your spouse, children, or stepchildren.

Should I hire a workers’ compensation attorney?

If you do not receive workers’ compensation benefits for your injury, you should reach out to a workers’ compensation attorney immediately. Your attorney will file a claim to pursue benefits for you. The claim must be filed within one year from the date of the accident. Time is of the essence.

Give us a call today with your questions: (478) 845-1961