Car Accident 101: What to do (and not do)
Car accidents are dangerous, inconvenient, and unpredictable. Unfortunately, the number of car accidents per year remains high, increasing the chances that you’ll be involved in one at some point. In the event of a car accident, it’s important to know what to do amidst the rush of adrenaline and emotions that immediately follows.
Contact Adams Law Firm if you’ve been involved in an accident and need representation!
First, it’s important to know some things you SHOULD AVOID when you’ve been involved in an accident.
- Don’t leave the scene – While this should be obvious, people flee the scene of accidents all the time. Even if you check and everyone is okay, you’re still legally obligated to exchange insurance information and contact law enforcement.
- Don’t panic – Reacting by lashing out (whether at the other driver or just in general) or panicking does nothing but make the situation worse. Try to stay calm and positive.
- Don’t apologize – Though it’s always good practice to be polite, some apologies can become admissions of liability.
- Don’t fight your insurance company alone – Insurance companies are trained to minimize your claim. Fighting them without the representation of an experienced car accident attorney can significantly reduce your chances of receiving the compensation you deserve.
- Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company or attorney – You should never share information with the other driver’s insurer or attorney. In the event that you are contacted by one or the other, seek legal representation immediately.
Instead, your post-car accident actions SHOULD include the following:
- Make sure everyone is okay – You should obviously make sure everyone in your vehicle is okay, but it’s important to check on the passengers in the other car as well.
- Call the police – Not only is this a legal requirement, it’s also important that the authorities fill out a report. Always be as detailed as possible when speaking with them.
- Exchange insurance information – It’s important to get this information so that the insurance companies can figure out liability. Don’t let the other driver talk you out of exchanging information.
- Call your insurance company – You should call your insurance provider to notify them of the accident as soon as possible. This allows you to get the claims process started.
- Call an attorney – An experienced car accident lawyer can help make sure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Take pictures – Most people have smartphones these days, so use it! Photograph all of the vehicles involved and try to get clear pictures of the damage. Having these evidence, especially if you’re not at fault, can help your case.
How the Car Accident Lawyers at Adams Law Firm Can Help
Car accidents are notorious for appearing simple and obvious only to become frustrating and complex when an insurance company doesn’t want to pay. It’s important to have a skilled car accident lawyer on your side to make sure you receive fair compensation. At Adams Law Firm, we have the experience and the expertise to protect you from being taken advantage of. We will work tirelessly to achieve the compensation you deserve.
Call us today at (478) 845-1961 for a free consultation!